The Conservatory

Built in 1852 in the centre of the historical row of glasshouses that link the Main Entrance to the Moorish Garden, the Conservatory belongs to the category of courtly glasshouses of the 19th century. It is planted according to historical descriptions.

In the central flowerbed selaginella is growing like a lawn; its green carpet lends the room depth and width. The islands of plants embedded in the selaginella lawn are composed, depending on the season, of potted plants such as narcissi, cyclamen or poinsettias. Palm trees and the huge edible bananas give everything the character of a tropical garden.

The central flowerbed is framed by four bedding areas, which are planned with geography in mind and present plants from Africa, South America, Asia, Australia and the Canary Islands.